Accurately gather the facts and circumstances of a case. Apply the most scientific advanced technology in investigative fields while staying committed to the highest standards of honesty and integrity in every case. The objective is to promote professional standards recognized in this field while serving clients needs for factual resolution of their case.
Since 1983, I have investigated thousands of cases resulting in over $50,000,000 in settlements and verdicts as a result of findings.
My courtroom experience and professional presentation is understandable before a judge and/or jury.
Affiliations with the Police Officer Association of Michigan, Fraternal Order of Police and Michigan Association of Traffic Accident Investigations (MATAI).
Indiana Association of Certified Accident Investigators.
Donald E. Smith Accident Reconstruction Expert
269.324.3800 - Portage, MI
407.284.8669 - Placida, FL
6749 S Westnedge Avenue Ste. K280
Portage, MI 49002
8725 Placida Rd. Ste. 7-178
Placida, FL 33946
As a trial attorney for over 27 years, I have had the pleasure, on numerous occasions, of consulting with Don Smith. I have retained Don as an Accident Reconstruction Expert and investigator on several major auto and road defect cases all with great success.
By way of example, Don recently consulted, evaluated and reconstructed an accident in the upper peninsula where he testified in a very successful trial as and accident reconstruction Expert against the State of Michigan.
Don is the consummate professional; very knowledgeable, easy to communicate with and he does a very thorough professional job. I would highly recommend Don as an expert in the fields of accident reconstruction and investigation.
The Corey Law Firm
Louis G. Corey
As you know we have just reached a settlement in this very tragic case. My clients were very pleased by your dedication and the way you continued to pursue the facts and document what had taken place causing the death of their daughter.
As a result they feel that justice has been done, as well as changes implemented so they feel that in her death something positive has resulted. Once again thank you for your dedication and professionalism.
James H. Koning, Plaintiff Attorney
- Vehicle/Pedestrians Accidents
- Vehicle/Bicycle Accidents
- Bus Accidents
- Boat Accidents
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Trucking Accidents
- Train Accidents
- Construction/Farm Machinery Accidents
- Vehicle Accident Reconstruction
- Court Case Consulting
- Trial Exhibits
- Graduate of Kalamazoo Valley Community College, Kalamazoo, Mi. Law Enforcement Associates Degree.
- Graduate of Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, Mi. Criminal Justice - Major and Public Administration - Minor.
- Police Traffic Accident Investigation Courses One through Eight - Michigan State University, East Lansing, Mi.
- Accident Reconstruction - Northwestern University, Evanston, Il.. An eighty hour course teaching reconstruction techniques for auto accidents, commercial vehicles, trucks, buses, car-pedestrians, occupant kinematics and conservation of linear momentum in various accident scenarios.
- Vehicle/Train Accidents - Institute of Police Technology and Management, University of North Florida, Jacksonville, Fl.. A three day course dealing with the dynamics, investigation and reconstruction of vehicular/train accidents.
- Advanced Reconstruction With Microcomputers - Institute of Police Technology and Management, University of North Florida, Jacksonville, Fl.. A week of advanced reconstruction using SLAM programs as well as use of CRASH III, AI Tools and AI Tools for Truck and Cycle crashes.
- MATAI Training seminar - A two day training course teaching the principals of photogrametry, ABS braking systems and the use of computer accident simulation/animation as well as the use of RECFORMS/RECTEC computer reconstruction.
- Advanced Computer Reconstruction With WinSmac - Institute of Police Technology and Management, University of North Florida, Jacksonville, Fl. Four day course in advanced computer reconstruction and simulation of traffic accidents using the WINSMAC and WINCRASH computer programs.
- Institute of Police Technology and Management, University of North Florida. Five day course in Crash Data Retrieval Tool. Training to enable the participants to read, retrieve, and interpret data from a vehicle's "black box" after an accident.
Donald Smith is licensed as a private investigator in the states of Michigan and Florida. Since 1983 he has been directly involved with the investigation/reconstruction of over two-thousand accidents of all types and the reconstruction of approximately three-hundred fatalities.
Initially Don Smith qualified as an Expert Witness in accident reconstruction in the District and Circuit Courts of Kalamazoo County. He is also well experienced in accident reconstructions in the following Michigan counties: Allegan, Barry, Berrien, Branch, Calhoun(Battle Creek), Cass, Eaton, Emmet, Grand Traverse, Ingham, Ionia, Iron, Jackson, Kalamazoo, Kent(Grand Rapids), Lake, Leelanau, Mason, Ottawa, St. Joseph, Van Buren, Washtenaw(Ann Arbor), Wayne(Detroit), and Wexford as well as the following Indiana counties: Porter County, Elkhart, Marshall, and St. Joseph, and in the Florida counties of Brevard, Broward(Ft. Lauderdale), Miami-Dade(Miami), Duval(Jacksonville), Hillsborough(Tampa),Lake, Pasco, Putnam, Lake, Orange(Orlando), Pasco, St. Johns, and Volusia(Daytona Beach). As well as Park County in Wyoming